Saturday, February 25, 2012

Data/Table Last Accessed/Modified

Is anyone aware of a method of determining when a table was last modified or accessed?

Some of our databases have tables that I am sure are not being used and I would like to generate a list of tables that have not been accessed or modified for some period of time.

I looked for a system procedure but didn't see anything that satisfied my need.

Currently I rename suspect tables and wait for someone or some process to gripe, but I don't care for that method for obvious reasons.

Thanks!again .. r u talking about the data or the object?
check what brett says here:
http://www.dbforums.com/t995468.html|||Both actually. I would like to know when someone queries against it or when the data is modified. The trigger method is good for data mods...I can use something similar. But it might be hard see if a table has been accessed or read.

Thanks!|||The only effective way I know to do that is using SQL Profiler (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/adminsql/ad_mon_perf_86ib.asp). Be forwarned: This can use enormous amounts of disk if you don't set it up very carefully!

This is when I wish that the design team had left the SELECT triggers in place, although that could have been a nightmare too!

-PatP|||That may do the trick. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment