Saturday, February 25, 2012

Data warehouse and a data base? difference?

I need someone to give me a small briefieng on how a enterprise data warehouse (EDW)
differs from a regular database?

Currently we have an appplication that accesses a database with about 18 tables. We also have
a Data Warehouse. For some reason I was thinking that it would be possibly to migrate the
database into the data warehouse. The reason is that in looking at the schematic design for
the data warehouse there are some data tables that could also be used by our application
that uses the DB.

I guess I am confused because I am not sure if a data warehouse is used in the same way
as a database?

Datawarehouse and Databases setup and uses differ. A database is traditionally used to store normalized data for a transactional based system. A datawarehouse is a way to abstract the database tables in such a way as to allow denormalization. Think of it this way: I would use a warehouse to store data in such a way as to query the data for reporting purposes. I would use a database for this reason because I would want some user or users running a 20 minute report on my core database. Hope this helps.

|||

Ok, thank you. I also found this info which is pretty good.

http://www.lc.leidenuniv.nl/awcourse/oracle/server.920/a96520/concept.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment