Saturday, February 25, 2012

Data/Preview windows not showing same data return

When I test my query in the "Data" window (tab), I get a healthy number of
rows returned. When I test under the "Preview" window (tab), I get a tiny
fraction of rows returned. Can someone tell why this is? Perhaps, something
in the "Layout" that I am missing? I'm not even sure how the data I am
getting in the "Preview" window is unique compared to the other data I did
not get.
Thanks in advance for any clues!Here is what might be happening. The preview tab caches data. If the
parameter is not changed it re-uses the data. Look where your .rdl file is
and you should see files with a .data extension. Either delete this file to
force it to hit the database again or just run your report with a different
parameter.
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"Lu" <Lu@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E1372BDD-F320-4687-9390-F703136400FF@.microsoft.com...
> When I test my query in the "Data" window (tab), I get a healthy number of
> rows returned. When I test under the "Preview" window (tab), I get a tiny
> fraction of rows returned. Can someone tell why this is? Perhaps,
> something
> in the "Layout" that I am missing? I'm not even sure how the data I am
> getting in the "Preview" window is unique compared to the other data I did
> not get.
> Thanks in advance for any clues!|||Thanks, Bruce. I flushed the old data, but this did not resolve the issue.
I forgot to mention that I deployed as well thinking it may have been cached
data. However, the problem also persists on production. I have the
parameters the same on both test preview and the raw query (data tab) and
even in the SQL Srvr Mgmt Studio...the preview and production windows only
retrieve 3 rows of data as opposed to the expected 3,000+ rows of data. It
should also be noted that something must've changed that I didn't catch
because the query was pulling more info than it is now...not all of it, but
was still pulling more than now.
"Bruce L-C [MVP]" wrote:
> Here is what might be happening. The preview tab caches data. If the
> parameter is not changed it re-uses the data. Look where your .rdl file is
> and you should see files with a .data extension. Either delete this file to
> force it to hit the database again or just run your report with a different
> parameter.
>
> --
> Bruce Loehle-Conger
> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
> "Lu" <Lu@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:E1372BDD-F320-4687-9390-F703136400FF@.microsoft.com...
> > When I test my query in the "Data" window (tab), I get a healthy number of
> > rows returned. When I test under the "Preview" window (tab), I get a tiny
> > fraction of rows returned. Can someone tell why this is? Perhaps,
> > something
> > in the "Layout" that I am missing? I'm not even sure how the data I am
> > getting in the "Preview" window is unique compared to the other data I did
> > not get.
> > Thanks in advance for any clues!
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment