Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Database Change Scripts

Please forgive me if I'm in the wrong category, and I know this is a duplicate post...

How do you deploy changes to a database? Is there something you can run to compare the two versions and create a script to do this? I've heard about the DTS package (now DTSX I believe) but am not sure how to set one up. If anyone could point me to an article or something that might clear things up, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

There are 3rd party tools out there to compare 2 databases / schemas and produce scripts to synchronise them - in both directions. I, myself, use redgate software's SQL Compare (for comparing db design) and Data Compare (for comparing data in tables). However, other products exist such as Innovartis' DBGhost & Quest's Toad (I use it for Oracle but it might also be in their SQL Server solution).

All the companies above have evaluation copies for download from their respective websites.

These tools are a godsend when a release is not performing as expected and time is critical.

|||Thanks, very helpful. I'll check out some of those products and give 'em a try. Too bad SSIS doesn't do that for you.|||

Check out SQL Effects too, as they have free version (Communition Edition)

http://www.sqleffects.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment